Search ENP

Powered by Blogger.


Social Connect

Get it on Google Play

Upcoming Events

February, 2016:

Friday, February 20

ART247 Black and White Exhibition

March, 2016:

Advertise Your Event on ENP!
More info here

Saturday, October 25, 2014
The Lockport Express took a commanding lead this afternoon against the Syracuse Stampede. The Stampede tried to make a comeback in the third, but the Express held on. A banner in honor of Meghan Redenbach hangs in the rafters at Dwyer Arena. (ENP STAFF PHOTOS)


The Express and Stampede practice before today's game.
The two teams play again Sunday.
NIAGARA UNIVERSITY — The Syracuse Stampede scored the first goal of the game this afternoon. They also scored the last three. The seven in between, however, clinched the game for the Lockport Express.

Syracuse started the scoring off at 11:43 of the first period with a goal by Erik Smith from Braeden Pearl. Lockport struck back quickly, however, with a Daniel Golba goal. Michael Crissy and Peter Guido got the assists at 13:10. Less than two minutes later, Frank Vecchio Jr. made it 2-1 Express on a goal with help from Anthony Merante and Justin Durkee.

The Express owned the second period, netting five goals. The first of the period, a backhander, from Christopher Gasiewicz was netted with help from Ryan Logar and Christian Whitcomb at 4:45. At 6:12, Dillon Hayes made it 4-1 Lockport with help from Justin Blake — playing in his first game for the Express — and Durkee. At 10:29, Logar scored with help from Vecchio and Nick Siracuse to make it 5-1. One hundred seconds later, Durkee netted one with help from Hayes and Blake. Hayes made it 7-1 Express at 19:45 with assists from Alex Bottenfield and Whitcomb.

"We played really well in the middle frame," Express Head Coach Frank Vecchio said. "We got a little sloppy in the third — stopped moving our feet."

With today's win, Lockport is now 6-6 on the 2014-2015 season.
Their sloppiness led to Syracuse contolling of the period, starting almost immediately. Pearl got his second point of the afternoon, assisted by Valters Midegs just 52 seconds in. At 10:26, Raymond Falso scored with assists by Joey Dupuis and Xavier Perron. Just a minute and two seconds later, Smith scored his second, assisted by Pearl, making the final score 7-4 Lockport. 

"I don't think we got tired, I think we got complacent," Vecchio said. "What happens is, you get away from your systems. Everybody wants to score goals because it's fun. You get away from what got you to seven to one. That's what happens, you let 'em back in the game a little bit."

The two teams face off again Sunday at 5:20 p.m., again at Dwyer Arena.

"They'll be more ready to play tomorrow," Vecchio said, explaining that the Stampede only arrived in town this morning.

With today's win, the Express improve to 6-5 on the season.

Of note, the team is expected to begin practicing in Cornerstone Arena again on Monday. Arena operations had shut down due to a problem with the condenser.

Get the daily East Niagara Post email update.
Send an email to with "email update" in the subject line.


Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated. Your comment will be reviewed for approval before being made public.