Search ENP

Powered by Blogger.


Social Connect

Get it on Google Play

Upcoming Events

February, 2016:

Friday, February 20

ART247 Black and White Exhibition

March, 2016:

Advertise Your Event on ENP!
More info here

Monday, March 21, 2016

The cause of a fire on Washburn Street Saturday night remains
under investigation. (ENP FILE PHOTO BY HEATHER N. 
The cause of the Saturday evening fire on Washburn Street remains under investigation, according to a press release from the Lockport Fire Department.

The structure fire at 15 Washburn St., which was responded to by LFD at 8:35 p.m. was completed at 4:55 a.m. and caused $60,600 in damage -- a total loss -- according to the release. Twenty-two fire department personnel responded to the blaze including six on-duty, 14 who were called in, MTO/Safety Officer Luca Quagliano and Fire Chief Pat Brady.

The full narrative of the release follows in its entirety:

Lockport Fire Dept. equipment and personnel responded for a report of a fire in a 2- story residential structure located at 415 Washburn St.
The Third Platoon under the direction of Assistant Chief Thomas Lupo responded to the scene with Engines 7 and 8 and also Truck 9 from Fire Headquarters, where they were in the process of cleaning up and resupplying this equipment from the fire that had occurred earlier in the day.

On arrival a very large volume of fire was found with the front porch and rear of the structure fully engulfed in flames. Fire was also coming out of some of the first floor windows and could also be seen behind some second floor windows. The homeowner had already safely left the residence prior to the Department’s arrival and stated that only his cat may be left inside the house. A second alarm was again requested to supplement man power at the scene and to provide the needed staffing at Fire Headquarters to answer any other requests for service during this incident. The South Lockport Volunteer Fire Company was also requested to stand by once again in their fire hall.

The flames on the front porch were quickly doused and crews attempted to make an interior attack through the front door to attempt to extinguish the main body of fire inside the residence, while additional hose lines were also pulled to protect the two houses on either side of this heavily involved residence. As conditions continued to deteriorate inside the structure, it eventually became too dangerous to continue operations inside the house and all personnel than exited the structure. With fire found to be in both the walls and also in the attic space, the Department’s aerial ladder was then placed into operation along with several ground ladders. Crews continued to operate and extinguish this large amount of fire into the early morning hours.

This fire was finally completely extinguished at 04:55 AM with tens of thousands of gallons of water used to put the flames out. The structure is a total loss with damage estimated at $60,000 and the contents at $50,000. One minor injury to a firefighter was reported.

The cause of this fire is still under investigation by LFD fire investigators.

Check out East Niagara Post videos on YouTube, Vine and Periscope.


Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated. Your comment will be reviewed for approval before being made public.