Search ENP

Powered by Blogger.


Social Connect

Get it on Google Play

Upcoming Events

February, 2016:

Friday, February 20

ART247 Black and White Exhibition

March, 2016:

Advertise Your Event on ENP!
More info here

Thursday, November 13, 2014

The state is assisting 17 counties — including Niagara — to help recover
losses from the flood in mid-2013. That flood did millions of dollars in
damage in Lockport alone. (ENP FILE PHOTO)
State assistance is available for storm recovery efforts to communities in 17 counties that were impacted by the Upstate flooding of June 26 – July 10, 2013 — including Niagara County — and Winter Storm Nemo of February 2013. The State will relieve local governments of their entire required share of FEMA Public Assistance Program costs to minimize the financial impact on local taxpayers, according to Gov. Andrew Cuomo's office.

"Local governments throughout these regions were left with significant recovery costs in the aftermath of extreme weather, but today the state is stepping forward to help them build back better than before," Cuomo said via a press release today. "By alleviating the financial burden imposed by Mother Nature last year, we're clearing the way for local governments to focus on improving storm resiliency with the next storm in mind. That will mean safer communities in the future, and I am proud that the State is helping to make that happen."

Communities across New York sustained significant damage from the February and June 2013 storms. In response, the federal government has committed to funding 75% of eligible recovery and resiliency project costs, while local governments were initially responsible for paying the remaining 25% of costs. To lift the burden of local governments of covering these costs, the State is today assuming the 25% of costs.

The FEMA Public Assistance Program provides reimbursement for local government activities such as debris removal, emergency protective measures, repair and rebuilding of publically-owned infrastructure that was damaged including roads, schools bridges, parks, hospitals, police stations, fire houses, water and waste water treatment facilities and other public facilities.

In addition to Niagara County, eligible counties include: Allegany, Broome, Chautauqua, Chenango, Clinton, Cortland, Essex, Delaware, Franklin, Herkimer, Madison, Montgomery, Oneida, Otsego and Warren.

Get the daily East Niagara Post email update.
Send an email to with "email update" in the subject line.


Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated. Your comment will be reviewed for approval before being made public.